Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gingivitis and Periodontitis

Gingivitis is a gum disease that is very common. It is known to affect 50% of US adult population. In Germany, around 95% of 18-year-olds have it. And there are even cases of deaths in other countries.




I'm suffering from gingivitis and maybe early signs of periodontitis. Since I'm not really into commercial medicines, and I had found out early on that the commercial mouthwashes tend to make my gums more softer, I looked for alternative ways to cure ailment and make my gums healthier.

Baking Soda as a Toothpaste

Yep, it doesn't taste good. It's salty and the first time I used it, it's really yucky. But the effects are instantaneous too. To create a baking soda toothpaste, just mix 1 tsp of baking soda with 1/4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide. Wet your toothbrush and dab it in the mixture. It will just absorb the right amount of baking soda toothpaste that you can use.

You can also add mint oils or lemon extract to the baking soda toothpaste to make it more appealing. Some also said just sprinkling baking soda on your regular toothpaste works. Or simply dabbing a wet toothbrush to a container of baking soda powder would do the same.

Apple Cider Vinegar as a mouthwash

Just mix 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to 1 cup warm water, put it in a container and use (gargle) as needed.

Floss

I've read that the right way to floss is to do it before brushing. The idea is to loosen up and remove the particles in between teeth. I used to floss after toothbrush but now I do it before I toothbrush.


By the way, these tips are also good for fixing bad breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment