Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Different Kind of Working Experience

Working from home has opened new doors, and new experiences for me. I was able to try and do jobs that I'm curious to do but don't have the chance because of my position in the office, or just can't because it's out of my line of career and my work experience. Before venturing out, I can see that I can do a lot of things that I was limited to do when I was still in the office. And I'm right. Though admittedly, working from home is not that stable a career. That's why one needs to be prepared for months earning only minimal or no income if one wants to venture into this field. Luckily, I had prepared for that. I gave myself at least 3 months to try this out.

My first 3 months paid well. I had a stable work-from-home job as a Project Manager, which is in my line of work. I was earning the same salary I was when I was still working in an office, but have the flexibility of time, as long as I can deliver what is asked of me. I was also able to practice again my applicant sourcing skills, which I missed and loved doing in one of my previous jobs. I thought this is a long-term job but things happen. My boss encountered some financial problems and have to let me go.

After that, I was lucky to be hired as a part time personal assistant. During the trial phase, I thought my boss is cold, he was too formal on his communications with me. That doesn't mean that it's hard to communicate with him, in fact he answers inquiries fast. So I just did what I need to do to finish the job. There were two of us whom he has shortlisted and luckily, he chose me. After that, things changed. He became more at ease to talk to. Maybe that's just part of his test. I've been working for him for a month now, part time, and even though I'm earning a little less than the minimum wage since it's a part time job, it's a learning experience for me which I know I can't try out and do when I'm working in an office. And it's more than enough to pay the utility bills lol.

I then met an employer who showed me the other side of applicant sourcing. I thought that all applicants are prepared. Prepared meaning they send their resume on jobs their applying for at the very least. I learned that I'm wrong. There were many applicants who would just send you an email asking if they can apply for the job without sending their resume. Some send their resume without any subject and cover letter. Still, there were others who used cover letter templates, which they send to every company that they're applying for. How did I know that this is the case? Well, either they forgot to change the position that they are applying for, or they just attached both the cover letter and the resume to their email lol. It was a funny, though sometimes irritating experience. Even though, I still think that recruitment is one of the enjoyable jobs.

2 comments: