Thursday, November 10, 2011

Medical Malpractice

Yesterday, my mom and I went to the nearby Alabang Medical Clinic to have her see a cardiologist. The diastolic reading of her blood pressure sometimes reaches 60-40 and my natural doctor friend suggest that she see a cardiologist just to be sure. When it was her time for the checkup, the doctor just asked her what she's feeling. She said that there are times that she feels the shortness of breath. The doctor then immediately prescribed Nebicar to her. I asked the doctor what's the purpose of the medicine. He said that it's for my mom's heart because she's experiencing chest pain, and even asked me if she is experiencing chest pain. I told him why ask me and I said he ask her. Then he said she said so. I was already in doubt at this stage, and became more unbelieving when he said that there are med reps outside who gives free samples, we just need to show them the prescription. He also recommended that my mom have an ECG and made another request for it. I asked him about the diastolic reading and he said that it's because of my mom's age. The ECG turned out ok. I asked my natural doctor friend about Nebicar, what are its medications. She told me that it's used to treat hypertension and acute cardiac insufficiency. Cardiac insufficiency? And acute already? Wow, that doctor must be a genius since he just asked one question and knows that my mom have that severe illness? It's really sad how the medicine world had become very commercialized. Their oath to protect lives has gone out the windows.

I had done a research on Nebicar and learned that it have a lot of recorded side effects, one of which is heart failure. Wow! A heart medicine that can cause a heart failure.

This isn't the first time that this happened to us. A few months back, my mom was admitted in the same hospital (unfortunately, this is the only one accessible to us) because of stomach problems and I wasn't feeling good myself. Because of the stress of us being sick at the same time, my mom's blood pressure went to 140/80 and she was immediately given a hypertension maintenance drug which she needs to take even when she was discharged from the hospital. Wow. I don't know why these doctors are in a hurry to prescribe medicines but not take time to check if their patients really need them. Can you blame me if I believe less and less on modern, commercialized doctors and favor the alternative, natural medicine?

No comments:

Post a Comment